Thursday, January 20, 2011

Ikea Hack: Bedside Pocket


When we moved into our apartment this year, we noticed that our new bedroom was a bit smaller than our old one. Seventy-five percent of the room is taken up by our giant bed, so it can get a little cramped.

I had to give up the luxury of having a night stand, and the closest thing I have is a little book shelf on the wall near my side of the bed. However, it's just outside of easy grasp, so if I want to put my glasses and book down there at night, I have to get all the way out of bed to do it (especially hard on a cold night). I generally just end up throwing stuff on the floor until there's a tiny mountain of books and chapsticks.

IKEA stuff is so cheap and simple, it makes it easy for hacking into other off-the-label uses. We recently got the Flort, a pocket that you can hang off the side of your couch to store remote controls. I got to thinking that it would be really great to hang one of those off the side of my bed, but would it be wide enough to store books that I'm reading?

I knew I'd have to rip a few seams to get what I wanted, but I had to be strategic. Each pocket is pleated in order to accommodate larger remote controls. This is a problem because if I ripped out all of the middle seams that separated the remotes, I would have one giant pocket, but it might have so much extra fabric from the pleating that my books would fall out.

I decided to just cut away the right and left inner seams to give me two medium pockets. I didn't even use a seam-ripper, just cut away with a cheap serrated knife. As you can see, the Flort hack is working out very well for me. I have enough room to store a book in one pocket and I use the other pocket to store my glasses and the remote control for my alarm clock. No more fumbling around outside of my bed when it's cold!

No comments:

Post a Comment