Thursday, January 13, 2011

Norman Love Chocolates #14: Hot Dark Chocolate



This chocolate looked like fireworks, which makes sense because it was the Hot Dark Chocolate. I've had a few chocolate/pepper combinations before. They're mostly good, but sometimes the chalkiness of the dark chocolate doesn't blend well with spicy peppers. I like spice much more when it's mixed in with something like hot chocolate.

In fact, the Mayan people are the first known to have made drinks with cocoa, but the only thing hot about their cocoa was the chili peppers. Apparently, they made a cold drink with crushed cocoa seeds, cornmeal, water, chilis, and other ingredients. I'm completely guessing when I say that the drink was probably served hot (and sugary) once it made its way over to Europe. My mom used to make her own version by heating up milk on the stove and stirring in cocoa powder and sugar, and then adding a little half-and-half. Bottoms up!

I was really surprised at how good this chocolate was. The first taste to hit me was the intense sweetness coupled with the creaminess, then a bit of chocolate and a little spicy aftertaste that went very well with the chocolate. I suspect that I enjoyed it so much because the creaminess of the truffle lessened the burn of the pepper. The description says that this is a "dark chocolate confection ... infused with jalapeno pepper," but it really tastes more like milk chocolate--the best milk chocolate you've ever had. It was like a tiny explosion of flavor in my mouth.

If spiciness is something that bugs you, you might not like this, but it's really not even as spicy as medium salsa and it didn't stick around for more than a minute or two. But you definitely want to try this chocolate just for the intense flavor, and then wash it down with a little milk if you wish.

No comments:

Post a Comment