Sunday, January 9, 2011

Norman Love Chocolates #9: Peanut Brittle Truffle

Peanut Brittle is a very simple candy to make--basically, you boil sugar and water together, then add nuts and maybe some spices and other ingredients (butter and baking soda), and let the mixture cool and harden. Because it's so easy, this was probably an old recipe, but the history of peanut brittle is up for debate. Some sources say it originated in the US in the 19th century, others say the Celts invented it. I couldn't find a good website with cited sources, so I'll just leave it at that.

Brittle is one of those candies that I really enjoyed as a kid but not so much as an adult. I'm not sure what happens to your tastebuds, but kids usually enjoy foods with simple flavors, which is why desserts made for kids are extra sweet. I've tried to enjoy treats from my childhood only to be disgusted at the sweetness. (I think there was actually a candy goo that I once ate that was basically flavored corn syrup in a tube--although even when I was a kid that was too much sugar for me!)

Funnily enough, when I first read the description of this chocolate, I thought it was Peanut Butter Truffle, so I was really surprised to see the caramel-translucence of the inside. Then I tasted it and I thought, "Hm, tastes more like caramel than peanut butter but maybe my taste is just weird." Upon closer examination of the chocolate brochure, I realized it was peanut brittle, and then it all made sense. I could taste the notes of peanut mixed with caramelized sugar and butter. Isn't that funny how what you think something is can totally change your perception?

Anyway, once I figured it out, this chocolate definitely tasted like peanut brittle, although more brittle and less peanut. Very sweet, perfect for a kid. That is, if you're the kind of person to give your kids very expensive truffles instead of just a pack of M&Ms.

No comments:

Post a Comment