Thursday, January 6, 2011

Norman Love Chocolates #2: New York Cheesecake

The latest chocolate to try from Norman Love is the New York Cheesecake. Interesting fact: New York-style cheesecake is actually just plain baked cheesecake that uses heavy cream in addition to the cream cheese, eggs and egg yolks, and sugar. Sometimes cottage cheese and lemon is added to tweak the consistency, which makes sense because all of the New York-style cheesecakes I've had seem to have a fine curd-like consistency in the middle (yum). I happen to be a cheesecake lover, but I didn't know if I would like it in chocolate truffle form. But since I'm a scientist, I have to give in to the risks of self-experimentation (clearly this is too dangerous to give to strangers) and eat the chocolate myself.

The description notes that this chocolate is "New York-style cheesecake folded into white chocolate ganache" and the shell is also white chocolate. The inside is creamy (the consistency of unbaked cheesecake), and if I didn't know what I was biting into before I ate this chocolate, I would definitely be able to tell it was cheesecake. However, once the cheesecake flavor was gone, I was left with a finishing note of white chocolate, which I didn't enjoy. Of course, I'm not a white chocolate person, so if that's your thing you would probably enjoy this chocolate more than I did. My husband's review was "Hm, pretty good!"

Overall I wouldn't eat this particular chocolate again, but of course everyone needs a reject pile they can give away under the guise of sharing, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment