Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Norman Love Chocolates #13: White Chocolate Raspberry

This sappy-shaped confection is the White Chocolate Raspberry. I've been eating a lot of the white chocolate confections lately so I did a little research into white chocolate.

I already knew that white chocolate is made with cocoa butter, milk, and sugar, and it lacks cocoa solids because it contains no cocoa powder, liquor, or paste. Because of this, it also lacks theobromine, a compound that gives chocolate its brown color and bitter taste (the darker the chocolate, the more theobromine). Theobromine is what makes chocolate toxic to pets, but white chocolate has an insignificant amount so that's why those gourmet dog biscuits you see are sometimes dipped in the stuff. (Tangentially related: Cats have no sweet-receptors so they generally have no problem avoiding chocolate. However, this doesn't explain why my cat ate half a chocolate bar a few months ago--and no, nothing happened to her, she was just fine.)

The inside was like a thick raspberry frosting with just the right amount of tartness and sweetness. The white chocolate shell went with the raspberry very well and even though I could taste it, I didn't mind it. Of course, that makes sense because white chocolate raspberry cheesecake used to be my favorite dessert from our local bakery.

No comments:

Post a Comment