Saturday, January 15, 2011

Norman Love Chocolates #17: Milk Chocolate Truffle

This planetary chocolate is the Milk Chocolate Truffle, described as having "nothing by fine, rich Swiss milk chocolate". Apparently, the reason that you always hear about "Swiss milk chocolate" being the best is because the first solid milk chocolate was invented by Swiss confectionier Daniel Peter. His method involved adding condensed milk to the chocolate, and this was an innovation because up until that point milk chocolate had only been available as a beverage.

I'm not such a huge fan of milk chocolate. It's like when I first started drinking wine and developing my palate. I really enjoyed the sweet wines (I think I even bought an Arbor Mist once), but then as I started drinking more wines my taste began to drift to the dry side, and now I really enjoy reds, although I still stick to semi-dry. In the same way my taste in wine has gone towards the bitter side, so has my taste in chocolate because I only choose to buy darks now. But since this is in my assorted box, the rule is that I am obligated to try it.

The interior was fudgy and it didn't melt easily in my mouth, which is good. It was an exquisite milk chocolate, and it's the kind of chocolate that really makes you realize that you've never had a good milk chocolate truffle before. Sort of like when I still liked wines with sugar added (the thought makes me a little sick now) and then I had my first sip of a smooth semi-dry wine and I realized that dry wines were not my enemies.

No comments:

Post a Comment