Thursday, January 13, 2011

Norman Love Chocolates #15: Pumpkin

It's winter in New England, and while I may not be craving mango, this is normally the time of year that I crave pumpkin. When I was in college, it never failed that if it was fall or winter and I saw a jar of something pumpkin-y, I would buy it. My craving has curbed a little bit since then, but I still love pumpkin pie (doused with whipped cream, of course). So, a pumpkin chocolate? Sure, why not! I'm up for it.

Another thing I do every year is to buy a pie pumpkin (or "sugar pumpkin") in anticipation of making a pumpkin pie completely from scratch. Of course, the pumpkin ends up becoming a decoration in my kitchen and usually sticks around for a period of time well past winter, and then I throw it out because it's bad. I've done this at least three times already--seriously, I am a huge impulse food shopper, especially when it comes to kitschy farmers' market items.

To be honest, I wasn't all that impressed with the flavor of this chocolate. It tasted more custardy than pumpkiny (even looked like it, from the inside), with a strong nutmeg aftertaste. The pumpkin did not mask the flavor of the white chocolate shell, so I had that to deal with too, which is probably why this chocolate was not one of my favorites. One of the things I like about pumpkin pie is that it's creamy and not so sweet (especially because I build an igloo of whipped cream around it), but this chocolate was just too sweet and not that pumpkiny. In the mean time, I'll just stick to my pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment