Friday, January 7, 2011

Norman Love Chocolates #5: Espresso Truffle

My strategy for testing these chocolates has been to just go in order of how they are in the box. I haven't really looked too hard at the other chocolates because I want to be surprised at what's coming next. Like many fine boxes of chocolates I've received, this one comes with a nice little brochure that explains what each confection is, and of course there are more varieties than what's in my box. I don't want to be disappointed that my favorite flavor isn't in there (among the best sounding are: Peanut Butter Banana, Sweet Tea, and Pistachio Cherry), so I haven't really inventoried what I've received.

I mention my strategy because the Espresso Truffle is not something that I would normally try first. I drink a lot of coffee at work, mostly to stay awake and cheerful, but I don't really drink it for pleasure (with the exception of Starbucks' Peppermint Mocha--even Andy likes that one). In fact, I started drinking espresso a couple years ago so I could just take a couple shots and be up and ready to go in the mornings (I've since leveled off my caffeine addiction).

Upon cracking open this chocolate, I could immediately smell the espresso. This is no small fact--I am usually congested and don't have a sensitive nose to begin with, so I was really surprised that I could smell this chocolate from at least a foot away.

The bitterness of the dark chocolate perfectly blended with the sweet espresso truffle inside. I hesitate to call it creamy, because while the texture was divine, there was definitely no cream in this coffee. In fact, it reminded me of the time I made espresso (using a moka pot--a stovetop espresso maker used all over italy). According to that website, the Neapolitan way to prepare espresso (after brewing) is to add sugar, no cream. So you end up with a very sweet, very strong drink. (Espresso machines are so expensive and you can make a drink just as good with a decent $20 moka pot, so if you're in the market, you should try that out.)

It was a good chocolate, especially for an after-dinner treat, washed down with a little milk, and maybe a tiny wedge of Tiramisu.

No comments:

Post a Comment