Friday, January 7, 2011

Norman Love Chocolates #4: Cookies 'n' Cream

This chocolate, which resembles a Snowy Plover egg, is Cookies 'n' Cream, which is a recent flavor combination (dating back around the early 1980's according to Wikipedia) based on blending chocolate cookies and sweet cream ice cream.

I was at McDonald's the other day (hey, I can't just live off of expensive chocolates) and I got an Oreo McFlurry and I absolutely loved it. (Of course, I'm trying to eat better, but no fruit can cure a sweets craving.) I'm more of a fan of cream with a little bit of cookie. Will this chocolate measure up to my impossibly high standards?

If you look closely at the filling, you can see specks of darkness. I really appreciate the level of detail Norman Love puts into their chocolates. The outside is a work of art (even with tiny paint speckles!) and the inside is just as beautiful. The specks themselves are not crunchy, the truffle has a creamy consistency throughout, so I'm not sure if the specks are pieces of very moist cookie or just marbled in.

The actual taste was good, definitely a delicious chocolate, but I didn't really get the cookies 'n' cream aspect of it. When I first tasted it, I definitely could taste the chocolate cookie with a subtle sweet cream background, but I found that if I didn't think about the flavor, the truffle just tasted like plain milk chocolate. I am a dark chocolate person, so that was a little off-putting, but bear in mind that this chocolate is still miles ahead of non-Norman Love chocolates. It's a little like being disappointed because you only won the $25 million lottery instead of the $100 million lottery.

No comments:

Post a Comment