Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Norman Love Chocolates #10: Caramel Apple

Today I tried the Caramel Apple chocolate. This was one of those chocolates that was almost too pretty to eat--if you click on the picture you can see the detail with the sparkly golden chocolate paint over the speckled green.

Caramel apples always sound good in concept--a nutritious fruit coated with a mixture of butter and sugar!--but they were always too unwieldy for me. The curvature of the apple makes it too hard to get a good bite in. But this isn't normally an issue for me because I usually don't like apple desserts, with the exception of one: a good apple-cheddar pie with homemade crust and streusal topping.

The inside was different than I expected because it was melted caramel instead of a solid truffle. It was in a white chocolate shell, and I think dark or milk chocolate would've overwhelmed the caramel apple flavor and made it taste more like a Rolo. It tasted exactly like you would think--very caramelly with a hint of apple. In fact, this confection was better than a regular caramel apple because I didn't have a sore jaw afterwards from cranking open my mouth to get a bite, and I didn't have sore teeth from the mound of caramel that comes off after you take a single bite. They should just put these on a toothpick, stick a few nuts on the outside, and sell them in a pack!

No comments:

Post a Comment