Thursday, January 6, 2011

Norman Love Chocolates #3: Key Lime Shell

This cutely-airbrushed tropical shell intrigued me, and I was happy to find out that this would be the Key Lime chocolate. I don't enjoy too many tart desserts with the exception of Key Lime Pie, which I'll eat until my tongue gets chemical burns. In fact, if you're ever down in Charleston, SC, you should check out Kaminsky's dessert restaurant and get a piece of their Key Lime Pie and a cold beer--there's nothing better. I haven't been to the Florida Keys and had an actual authentic piece of pie, but I'm sure this comes close. Or, make one yourself--I prefer this recipe because it's so simple and I think that baking it instead of setting it in the fridge gives it a more golden flavor.

Even though I love Key Lime Pie, after eating the overwhelmingly white chocolate New York Cheesecake chocolate, I wasn't too thrilled that this chocolate also had a white shell. But then again, someone has to eat it, so I'm prepared to suffer for my dessert.

I was pleased that the inside was a creamy color, like a real Key Lime Pie. (You can usually tell if a Key Lime Pie recipe is bad when it calls for the addition of green food coloring.) There is nothing extraordinary about the description for this chocolate, just that it's made with "fresh key lime juice for a feeling of Florida sunshine".

The chocolate itself was delicious--tangy and tart, just like the pie, and no white chocolate aftertaste! I think the tartness of the filling actually overwhelmed the white shell taste, which was a pleasant surprise for me. Also, I detected a hint of graham cracker crust, and my husband confirmed this. I would definitely eat this one again. Well, at least if I didn't have to order an expensive box of chocolates again just to get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment